Tuesday, September 19, 2006

dress dream

So last night I had a dream featuring my wedding dress. I was at my parents' house and someone else (someone I know, but I can't remember who) was trying on my dress but it didn't look quite right, so they asked me to try it on again. Once I had the dress on again, I was surprised because there were a few things about it that were quite different than when I bought it. First of all, it was mostly red. I straightened out the train on the dress to see that it was more cape-like than train-like, all red satin with a white satin strip in the middle that was embroidered with red thread and came down from my shoulders.

The dress seemed to be morphing continuously and imperceptibly because I noticed when i looked down at the skirt that not only was it mostly red, but sort of like a patchwork quilt with a bunch of different squares of colours all sewn together. Each square was made of a soft t-shirt like material. There was one white patch on the dress and I was reminded that that's what I had thought my whole dress looked like before and felt confused about how I could have had such a harsh error in perception when I originally tried the dress on. I was a bit upset at how different the dress looked now that I had it home and immediately started to think of ways that I could alter it so all the patches were this shade of white. I took a closer look at the white patch and noticed that I could see a faint pattern through the material. I flipped up the skirt (at this point I was no longer wearing the dress) to see that there was a pattern on the other side of the material. The white piece of material was actually taken from an old CYMC t-shirt. In fact all of the squares of my patchwork dress had been taken from t-shirts with different designs on them, most of which were from Comox Valley based organizations, like Fleet Beat dance studios and Rainbow Youth Theatre. As I kept looking I also saw patches that were made from covers of the Suzuki violin books we used when we were learning how to play. I was so surprised. The seamstess who made this dress must have been from the Comox Valley and had some sort of connection to violin too. What were the chances that I, of all people, would buy this dress in Regina and not notice these details until I got it home.

Then the dream got totally turned around and non dress-related, and I was asking my brother, Tim, a question and he was purposely ignoring me to make me annoyed. I stormed away to tattle to my mom about his annoying and brotherly behaviour. My mom was in the dome eating a piece of ice cream cake and was commenting how it wasn't as good as the other ice cream cake. I guess Shelley and Tim had both made ice cream cakes that day. My mom was eating a piece from Shelley's cake when she made this comment, and Shelley happened to be coming up the stairs at that moment to see that it was her cake that Mom didn't like as much. She burst into tears and I was thinking what a jerk Tim was for getting us both upset like that in the span of 30 seconds. Even though I had to admit that his cake was pretty darn tasty looking and he had no control of what my mother might say in the presence of my sister.

The end.


Anyway, not related to either parts of my dream, by request, here are some the pictures of the dress that could have been. The real dress that I tried on in Regina that was a strong contender in the competition to be MY dress. But wasn't.

okay...so it seems as though I can't upload pictures right now. I wrote this post this morning and left my computer for a few hours and the upload picture guy was still whirring around...so I give up for now...check back later.

1 Comments:

At September 19, 2006 9:25 p.m., Blogger Smash said...

That is the greatest story, Rosie!
Maybe it has something to do with you wanting your wedding day to be connected with your past- hence the patchwork of CV organizations you've been affiliated with... I don't know. But it sounded very fun and funky to me.
And thanks for making the effort with those pics. Computers are silly.

love from me,
Ash.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home