Friday, September 15, 2006

The dress...

So on the long Labour Day weekend, Julian and I took a trip to Regina to visit his family. It was a very busy few days we spent there because not only were we visiting his Mom and Dad, but also one of his sisters and her four children (aged 12, 9, 5 and 3) who have recently moved back to Regina from Sacramento, and are currently living in Julian's parents' house. It's a busy household.

One thing on my list of "things-to-do-while-actually-in-a-city" was to visit a bridal store that carries Alfred Angelo dresses so that I could get my measurements done and possibly even try on the dress that Ashley has chosen for her wedding in December. So on the Tuesday that the 3 older kids went back to school, Julian, his mother, his sister, his youngest nephew and I went on the task of looking at bridesmaid dresses. The lady at this store was mildly interested in us, took my measurements, gave me a similarly cut dress to Ashley's bridesmaid dress to try on and spent the rest of the time on the phone. So I tried on that dress, while Julian's mom and sister found a few wedding dresses they liked for me to try on. Did you think we could go into a bridal store without trying on at least a few dresses? Meanwhile Julian was exiled to the corner of the room and eventually took the little guy for a walk to get some ice cream. Sadly, everything I had in mind for my ideal wedding dress happened to look a bit crappy on me. I think I still think like a small breasted girl.

So after about an hour of trying on stuff that didn't really fit and wasn't in my price range, we were on a roll and decided to go down the street to the bridal store that sells consignment dresses. After a long long time of trying on many many dresses, I got a little tired of being there. Plus I had tried on a dress that I was pretty sure was MY dress. So we went home for a little while for some food and some time to think about whether I just wanted to buy the dress that day.

Later that afternoon when the neices got home from school we took them back to the store to get their opinions on 2 or 3 dresses that we had liked. But my heart was already set on one. And I would have gotten it...if we didn't happen to notice yet another dress. One that fit perfectly and matched my description in my mind of what I was looking for, and more. After an hour of trying on the two final dress competitors (the first one that I was the "you-were-meant-to-wear-me-because-i'm-gorgeous-and-elegant-but-need-a-few-alterations" dress, and the last minute "let's-just-try-this-on-just-in-case-it's-perfect" dress) I left the store with a dress, because it was closing and we were leaving Regina the next morning. I just couldn't let the fact that I wanted both of the dresses so badly keep me from not getting a dress at all and very possibly missing the boat on the search for the perfect dress.

And just becuase I like to live on the wild side, I'm actually going to let the internet see my dress. Or more likely, just Ashley :)

So now comes the risky business: attempting to post pictures of my wedding dress in a way that in the unlikely event that Julian came to this website and tried to read it, that he might not actually see the pictures. So if your name is Julian, please do not read this. Stop now! Go away! Because I don't like you!

okay...so this is where I try to make links to pictures of my dress. Wish me luck!

This is a side (read: boob) view: No peeking if your name is Julian!

and this is from the back: For serious! Don't look!!!

We took a few more (better) pictures of the dress in the store, but they are on Julian's sister's camera. If I ever get those I will post them as well.

*Edit - If you click on those links and it just looks like a bunch of scrambled characters, then try refreshing the page. Unless your name is Julian. If it is, that was my super fancy security feature to keep you out...yup...that's right.*

1 Comments:

At September 18, 2006 9:02 p.m., Blogger Smash said...

ROSIE!!!
I can't believe that we are both getting married right now. I am very incredibly excited by the vision of glorious you the BRIDE TO BE in your fancy fancy perfect dress!!!! I am fairly overwhelmed and will now have to search and see if I have your number, because I am very sniffly and silly over here all by myself! Oh, why are we a whole province apart for what could be a most special and fun time?!!! Shoot. that really sucks right now. There is probably only one solution called nathan and I will just have to drop out and move to Barrhead! :) Okay, maybe not so much. I will go and try to find your phone number now.
Love,
Ashley.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home